Week 9 Story: Your Highness, Vidura

'Twas a joyous occasion. The three contenders for the throne of Hastinapur were born: Dhritarashtra, Pandu, and Vidura. The throne would not go unoccupied! The people of the city celebrated with music, drink, and food for three days and three nights straight. They thanked the gods for their generosity in ensuring that Hastinapur's royal legacy passed on.

However, there were problems. Prince Dhritarashtra was born blind, and Prince Pandu was always sickly thin and pale. Of the three, the wisest and healthiest was Vidura.

This persisted even as the three princes grew up. Dhritarashtra was always fair and just in his judgment, using his sense of hearing to make up for his lack of vision. Pandu was a good warrior, but got tired very easily. Vidura, however, was both just and valiant. No one beat him in the warrior training grounds, and even the court elders looked up to his fair judgment. The people absolutely loved him.

The time came for one of the princes to be crowned King of Hastinapur. Few wanted the blind Dhritarashtra or the pale and thin Pandu to become king - everyone rallied after Vidura. Even Dhritarashtra and Pandu rallied after him, recognizing his superiority as a leader.

But, Vidura was wise. While both Pandu and Dhritarashtra were born to the queens Amba and Ambalika, Vidura was of low beginnings, having been born to a fisherwoman. "I cannot accept this position," he told the crowds awaiting his coronation. "Since I was born out of a lower rung of society, it is not my place to take the throne. Now that I have learned under my great gurus, it is time for me to retreat into a forest and serve the rest of my life in penance to Lord Shiva."

While the people were all disappointed, they admired his character and wisdom. They sadly watched as Vidura took off his princely crown and walked calmly toward the front door.

Just as Vidura was about to step outside of the palace, however, he froze. He had a sudden vision. He suddenly saw an old king and his queen - one blind, the other blindfolded. He saw 100 sons, each of them overcome by greed. He saw a thin, frail king with his five sons - five good people, but stubborn. He saw a gruesome battle, mourning mothers, and bloodstained land.

He turned around. Something told him that penance to Shiva was not the best way to go.

"I have changed my mind," he announced, "I have decided that I will be the king. My apologies for the confusion."

The entire city, including Prince Dhritarashtra and Prince Pandu, broke out in celebration. King Vidura ruled Hastinapur for a ripe sixty years in peace before leaving the throne to his young son.

There were no wars, no jealousy, and no enmity.

A picture depicting Vidura sitting with a sage. Source.


Author's Note: This story is based off of the story of the three princes Dhritarashtra, Pandu, and Vidura. In the original, the former two become kings, and Vidura decides not to take the throne for himself. In this version, he appears to have a revelation in which he foresees the destruction that the Kauravas and Pandavas wreck on each other, and takes the position of King for himself, avoiding all the bloodshed.

Bibliography: Mahabharatha by Epified, "Sons of Vyasa," Link to Story


Comments

  1. Hi Vinay!

    I really liked your story! I think a lot of great epics are set off by these what if moments, and I loved that your played around with the effects of this one man's choice. It gave a lot more weight to that moment in the original story and you realize just how important Vidura's decision was. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vinay!
    I loved your version of the story! Of course, we are seeing these stories from a modern standpoint, but I couldn't help but think how ridiculous it was that Vidua didn't take the throne, as though his 'low birth' meant anything! It would have saved a lot of heartache if he'd just been the king. I thought the writing was really good and the story flowed well. I laughed out loud when you Vidura was like, nope, never mind. I'm staying and taking charge. Really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinay,

    I love how you spun this story your own way. I also like that I sensed a little bit of comedy in your writing and that is refreshing in this class as I feel like there is not a lot of comedy in some of these stories. I can't wait to read more of your stories and hope that you add some more comedy to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vinay,

    Another great story here. I just read your Jungle story, and this one did not fall below it. I like how you took the original story and spun it into your own. It was a fun read and I think you did a really great job with it. Overall, great story and I look forward to reading more of yours in the future.

    Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vinay! What a great story. I love what you did with making this story your own. It shows that people can make the right choice when given a second chance. Your writing was also easy to read and flowed really well. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Doctor and Leisure Philosopher

Week 12 Story: Arjuna's Martyrdom